Did you know you can register your pet for a Malaysian Identification Card for pets?

Did you know you can register your pet for a Malaysian Identification Card for pets?

Yeap. You read that right! You can get your little furry baby an IC! Just follow these regulations below:

  • Microchip
  • Your dog or cat must be microchipped with a 15-digit ISO 11784 chip that is non-encrypted. However, if your pet is already microchipped and not ISO 11784 compliant, you can just bring your own microchip scanner. You do not necessarily need to chip them again.

  • Import Permit
  • An import license is issued by the Director General of Veterinary Services or the State Veterinary Department. You can apply for one online through an agent or in person by a licensed agent or representative. Once issued, this Import License is valid for 30 days. If you’ve got plans in Sabah or Sarawak with your little furbaby, you will have to apply for said license to the respective states.

  • Vaccinations
  • Your pet must be vaccinated 30 days to 12 months prior your entry to Malaysia. Be sure to have your vaccine certifications from your veterinarian with you when you come in with your pet. Dogs entering Malaysia from Australia must be vaccinated for canine adenovirus type 2, Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parovirus and Parainfluenza. Cats must be vaccinated for Feline panleukopenia (Distemper): Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Leukemia. A certified vet will examine your furkid for any signs of the corona virus, especially if you are coming in from China. Speaking of tests, in Malaysia  a rabies titer test (RNATT) is not required.

  • Ticks an Tapeworm Treatment
  • Within 2 days to a week of entry from Australia, pets must be given a productive effective treatment for external parasites like ticks and fleas. Treatment is also given for internal parasites like tapeworms.

  • Health Certificate
  • If you are coming in from USA or Canada, be sure to get a health certificate for your pet by a certified veterinarian and endorsed by the USDA or CFIA. If the pet is being imported from other countries, the Governing Authority of said country is responsible for the certificate. The certificate must state your pet’s health and that your pet has not been infected with rabies in the last 6 months before your visit.

  • Quarantine
  • If you are entering Malaysia from Brunei Darussalam, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand or the United Kingdom after being born or 6 months prior to entry, your pet will be quarantined if all requirements tick off. Quarantine is not more than a week long if no signs of infections are found. However, quarantine can be extended for up to 6 months if deemed necessary. 

    If you are coming in from Singapore, your pet must be accompanied with a valid declaration that your pet has lived with you since birth or 6 months prior to your entry. Said declaration must be supported with an examination by qualified vets and endorsed by the competent veterinary officer, Primary Production (Veterinary) Department Singapore.

  • Import By Air
  • All cats and dogs requiring quarantine must enter at at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA),l Senai International Airport in Jahore, Labuan International Airport, Labuan F.T. or Bayan Lepas International Airport in Penang. Reservations for quarantine must be made at least 2 weeks if not more in advance. If you’re worried about being away from your pet for too long while they are quarantined. Don’t worry, pet owners are responsible for their own pet during the time of quarantine. There is no limit to the number of pets you can import at a time, provided that your accommodation permits it.

  • Banned Breeds
  • Sadly, there are breeds that are not permitted here in Malaysia: American Pit Bull, Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Bulldog, Neopolitan Mastiff, Japanese Tosa, Akita, Dogo Argentino and Fila Braziliero. Breeds like German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman Pinscher, Belgian Shepherd, East European Shepherd, Bull Mastiff, Bull Terrier, Perro de Presa Canaro come with additional requirements. An official written application must be made to the Director of State Veterinary Services (State DVS) and these breeds cannot be brought in for any commercial purposes. 

  •  Exporting Pets from Malaysia
  • Prepare all the documents required by  your destination country, including but not limited to, submitting a Veterinary Health Certificate (VHC) to Veterinary Services. An export permit will be issued by the VS for a fee.

  • Other Animals
  • To import wild or exotic animals, you will probably need to obtain approval from the Department of Wildlife and National Parks before applying for an import permit. Invertebrate, reptiles, amphibia, mamals and tropical fish do not need rabies vaccination, but other health precautions and treatments may be required depending on species and place of export/origin. Birds must be checked for any health concerns and certified vets must issue a Health Certificate stating the bird is in good health, tested negative for Avian Influenza and Newcastle disease and lived in a safe area with no cases of such diseases within a 20km radius 6 months prior to the visit. Within 48 hours of export, a health check must be conducted. Rabbits are permitted into Malaysia, regardless of country of origin. Rabbits must be accompanied with a health certificate stating they are free from any parasites (internal and external),  myxomatosis, viral haemorrhagic disease and that they have been isolated for 60 days prior to import and therefore have had no exposure to said health risks. 

  • CITE
  • This is especially for pets like turtles and parrots. Please make sure your dear pet is not protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (CITE). Additional forms, requirements and regulations will be implemented if this is the case. Take note that there are over 180 countries taking part in CITE.

    We hope this helps your plans run smoothly. If you need further advice or information on this, please get in touch with your Governing Authorities.

    Back to blog

    Leave a comment

    Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.